Saturday, March 23, 2013

Detachment vs. Apathy

     I have strived for Apathy for most of my life. The definition of Apathy is lack of interest or concern. I think of apathy as a general sense of lack of feeling. In recovery, what I am learning is that Apathy is dangerous to the recovering addict. The healthy version or apathy is detachment. Detachment is the state of being objective or aloof. You see, I have a disease that affects my perception of things and I am unable to see things objectively. I don't necessarily have to be unfeeling, but instead, must be objective in my evaluation of people and situations in my life.

     What is the purpose of detachment or apathy? The purpose is to acheive a lack of pain. If I can hold on to things loosely and practice nonattachment, I can move with life instead of holding on so tightly that I am unyielding.

   There is no area that causes as much pain as relationships. Whether it be with children, a significant other or family, I tend to hold on so tightly that the people in my life feel sufficated.

No comments:

Post a Comment